Monday, May 25

Sock Challenge 9/12 - May

This month's pair of socks for the sock challenge are my first toe up socks. I encountered many knitting problems and this pair has been ripped out many times and I'm still not satisfied. I used scraps from my Drizzly Day Socks and my C&H Socks.


When knitting the second sock  I suddenly had a clear moment and thought about Roy Lichtenstein. The yellow, white and blue-white speckled yarn probably triggered an artisitc cell in my brain telling me that this color spectrum suspiciously looks like the pop-art of master Lichtenstein. Finding out I had some red left overs from Malabrigo Sock yarn, I incorporated red lines into the pattern. to make it even more comic book -like.
Little did I know, when starting the short row heel, that it was going to be a struggle to match up the lines perfectly. Which, of course, didn't happen. Also, for the second sock I used a trick to make the jogging a little less noticable when knitting stripes with two seperate yarn colors. But it still isn't perfect like in the numerous YouTube videos I watched.

Oh well, I do like the cast on (Judy's Magic Cast On) and the bind off (Tubular Bind Off for 1x1 ribbing).

Tuesday, May 19

The Norge Project

I was once gifted a Japanese Moleskine. This moleskine -and I quote the website- is influenced by the traditional Japanese horizontal emakimono scrolls.
That actually just means that the papers are connected to eachother like an accordeon. I want this sketchbook to represent my love for wandering and nature, for hiking and being in forests and for the little ordinary things that can make me happy. I have been wanting to visit Norway for years, for the scandinavian living and the magical attraction it has on me, which I still can't explain. Last Summer we finally booked a ferry from Denmark to Oslo. We put tent, sleeping bags, food and drinks in the car, map and a Trotter and off we went!
This project is such fun because you can play with the drawings on so many ways, depending on how you fold the pages. The most drawings are streched on 1 or 2 pages, but if you fold it out completely you'll see a continuous landscape.

I'm a bit disappointed in the coloring though. The first page has some light and dark green trees and the watercolor was alright for such small things, but when coloring bigger surfaces it doesn't always stick to the glossy paper. Stupid, I know! Normally I'm a freak when it comes to choosing the right weight of paper and media used on it and now I just acted totally silly and and a bit too impulsive!

Joining Nicole.

Thursday, May 14

Paper Flowers


To celebrate Mom. Inspired by an image on Pinterest, I painted bright circles with Ecoline, cut them out, drew some lines and pasted them on a piece of paper. Perfect flowers for a Happy Mother's Day card!
I hope all mothers had a great Mother's Day!

x

Wednesday, May 6

Nature along

Today I woke up early to go to our house in construction to open our windows, so the stucco could dry. The house is nearly ready for cement screed floors so we're almost at the end of the building process. Almost, I know, screed has to dry, we need to paint all the walls, install all the sanitary & kitchen furniture, not forget to tile the floors first :-), but still...I'll be happy that I won't be hopping over the water supply and electricity pipes anymore. Moving date will be around September. 

We're building in a residential area, but in walking proximity (two streets!) there is a small nature park (about 60 ha) with a lot of ponds and cattle set out to graze. I did a short morning walk because it was such a beautiful sunny day. It had been a long time that I actually had the time to go out for a walk, which sounds kind of strange, but it really is. I enjoyed it so much.


I also cast on my May socks. This month I wanted to learn how to knit toe-up socks. I used Judy's Magic Cast-on and used stash yarn. The grey yarn didn't really turned out to be the sock yarn I had in mind (I tried to use this yarn for so many projects and it never works out, it's ripped yarn from my Amélie top and I don't know what to do with it!)
So I ripped out the socks and cast on again with other stash sock yarn. I've reached the heel 3 times (yes, 3 times and tried a Dutch heel/ Fleedge heel/...) somehow I messed it up after the heel turn and argh, I ripped it out again and I'll be doing a short row heel. By ripping out so many times, starting over again and googling about toe-up socks I did learn a few more things which, in the end, is a bonus!
Thank you all for the comments on my previous post!

Happy knitting you all!
x